Daal Chicken 🍗🍗 Daal with murg
Updated: Sep 23, 2020
Such a surprising combination of lentils and chicken!! A comforting curry with yellow and green lentils...delicious curry, rich in protein and lots of flavours. I have adopted this daal chicken recipe from my mom's kitchen. Mom's are just amazing in kitchen ❤️❤️
Our Indian kitchen is full of spices and varieties of lentils. Lentils are the most common food in India, which is served in platter with chapati or rice. Our Indian thalis are totally incomplete without the daal. But if you don't want to eat the same old daal than try this. Though lentils recipe is a veg recipe but if used along with chicken it really makes a tasty mouthwatering recipe.
My preference for making this daal is in pressure cooker. You can try this recipe in pot also but for that you have to use the boiled lentils as it takes time to get soft. You can made this recipe with lamb or red meat also. I cook this recipe with both chicken and meat. This is the most common recipe and easy recipe of my kitchen. Not just my self, my whole family is a huge fan of Daal chicken
Daal chicken is made differently by differnt people. Commonly known name is daal murg . I have been making this recipe sicnce past 15 years. Sometimes with chicken and sometimes with meat or mutton. You can always adjust the recipe as per your tastebuds. The more spicy & flavourful the more it will be delicious. But I cook this recipe with medium spices as my kids are not big fan of hot spices.
This recipe has a lot of gravy which helps the lentils to get softer but you can reduce the amount of water if want thick gravy. This recipe is a tasty addition to your lunch or dinner. This recipe is an alternative to your usual dal and can be eaten wit naan, parathas or rice.
So, here is my version of Daal chicken 🍗🍗. Easy recipe but lipsmacking in taste....simple spices and masalas to enhance the flavour of daal and chicken.
1. Wash the daal under running water and soak in for 30-40 minutes.
2. Boil the chicken ( semi boil ) before hand with 3 cups of water. Use this water latter on as chicken stock.
3. Tomato puree
Take 2 -3 medium size tomatoes and 3-4 dry red chillies. Boil and puree them. Increase the quantity of red chillies if want more spicy daal.
4. Ginger garlic paste
Take few chopped ginger along with garlic. Add your choice of dry spices like cardamom, clove, cinnamon stick and black pepper. Make smooth paste.
5. Semi cooked chicken 250-300 gms
6. Soaked daal or yellow lentils 1 cup + hara moong 1/4th cup
7. Chopped onions 1-2
8. Chicken stock plus water ( 4.5 cups or as per requirement)
9. Oil 4-5 tbsp
10. Bay leaves 2
11. Cumin seeds 1 tsp
12. Dry spice powders like turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander seeds powder, salt. Use this spice powders as per taste. No particular measurments for this.
Freshly chopped coriander leaves
1. Start with heating up the pressure cooker with oil. Add cumin seeds and bay leaves
2. Add chopped onions, saute till the onions become golden in colour. Add ginger garlic paste & saute again.
3. Add tomato and dry red chilli paste, saute again.
4. Add all the dry spice powders, stir well.
5. Add soaked daal, stir and saute.
6. Add the semi boiled chicken in to the cooker. Mix well.
7. Add chicken stock and water. Adjust the quantity as per requirement.
8. Let it boil for 5 minutes. Put the lid on.
9. After 3-4 whistle turn off the flame.
10. Allow the cooker to relase the pressure naturally.
11. Serve hot & garnish with freshly chopped coriander and mint leaves.
This recipe is delicious to the core and can be an ultimate choice for anyone. A recipe to die for!! Enjoy this delicious recipe with chapatis, parathas or with jeera rice.
Do try this recipey with your friends and family.
Here is the 👇🏻
Youtube link https://youtu.be/f5uMaF7oK4I